Thrilled to report that the blog is not dead, it is just under pressure from conventional social media. I have recently been enjoying my greatest extent of cross-blog conversations since the previous decade – and I’m loving it! Here’s what’s been happening…
- In response to The Aesthetic Flaws of Games, game critic Jed Pressgrove offered Tutorialization as an Aesthetic Flaw in Games. I’m working on a reply, but Jed smacked-down Silent Hill 2, prompting Wednesday’s Horror and Punishment.
- In reply to Jed, Doc Surge (AKA Chris Billows) discussed Breaking the Fourth Wall: Why Tutorials Ruin Games. I will either include some response to this in my reply to Jed, or will provide a separate reply (it all depends on how long my rambling gets!).
- Chris also provided his own reply to The Aesthetic Flaws of Games in a great piece entitled Aesthetics as Basis for Conflict Between Players. It’s wonderful to see how his thinking has developed in this piece!
- Charles Cameron posted a very short reply to Voiding the Hard Problem of Consciousness, in which he juxtaposes a quote from me to one from philosopher Cornelius Castoriadis.
- I am working on a book chapter I owe, so time is short, but I have managed to keep my promise to allocate time every week for blogging (about 4 hours or so). Have a blog? Want to talk to me? Send me a blog letter!
Cross-posted from Only a Game.